Work has started on the repair and conservation of the rare and historic curvilinear wrought iron glasshouse and contemporary potting shed at Felton Park, Northumberland.
The grade II listed building, one of only 20 surviving structures of this type in the country and one of only two in the North East, was constructed circa 1830.
The 18th century walled garden at Felton Park is bounded by a four metre high brick north wall, raised to five metres in the 19th century to receive the curvilinear wrought iron glasshouse facing south into the garden, with the potting shed against the north side.
The restoration will require a number of specialist skills, including stone masonry, metal conservation and repair and glazing.
Metal conservationists Calibre Metalwork Ltd have been contracted to restore the historic cast iron and glass structure and have called upon the help of MGM’s restoration team to repair and renew sections of the ashlar stone walling of the glasshouse, together with carrying out joinery restoration, roof repairs, re-roofing, brick pointing and decoration of the potting shed.
The employer is Felton Park owner Mr Timothy Maxwell, who called upon the expertise of the reneowned heritage architect, Mr Robin Dower.
Works are due to be completed by the autumn.